The Cambria County Medical Society (CCMS) promotes the professional, academic, and charitable endeavors of the physicians of our community.HISTORY
The CCMS was first organized in 1852 by Dr. Michael Hay, Dr. Campbell Sheriden, Dr. William Lemmon, and Dr. John Lowman. After several false starts, the CCMS was incorporated in 1892 and the first board of directors was assembled.
The physicians of the CCMS were witness and participants in the history that has defined our region.
- During the Civil War, several area physicians served their country in treating wounded soldiers.
- The Great Flood of 1889 called upon the medical community to treat those who had fallen during one of the greatest natural disaster in US history
- As contagious disease spread across the US in the late 19th century, the CCMS operated the Municipal Hospital for the treatment of smallpox.
- The CCMS began in the early 1900s to advocate for childhood vaccinations, health boards, physician licensing, and nursing education.
- CCMS physicians served in WWI and WWII and organized itself to serve with the Civilian Defense Corps.
- Insurance became an issue as early as the 1950s. The CCMS was out in front--even then--supporting appropriate wages for physicians.
- The CCMS Scholarship Committee formed in the 1970s to distribute funds from the Lowman Scholarship.
- 1977: Another flood and CCMS physicians were there.
- CCMS became more politically-active in the 1980s; specifically related to medical malpractice awards.
- In the 1990's, the CCMS names it first woman president.
- In the late 2000's, began it's electronic era. The CCMS established its first website and began sending correspondence through email.
- In 2010, the CCMS renewed its commitment to its scholarship mission through the Apollo and Lowman scholarships and the establishment of the Mentoring Program.
The CCMS continues to strive toward fulfilling completely its mission for the physicians and people of our community.